Happy Independence Day, America!
I like to celebrate holidays by watching movies, so you know the same thing I do every other day of the year. In honor of today’s festivities I watched a July 4th favorite of mine, Independence Day (1996). If you’ve seen it, you already know that this movie has everything you could ever want in a summer blockbuster: aliens, explosions, the corniest one-liners. There is no other day of the year more appropriate for this movie, so I hope that while you eat your hamburgers and hotdogs you’ll sit down to watch this American classic. If you still need some convincing, here’s a list of reasons why I absolutely love this movie.
- It’s hilariously convenient that a global alien invasion happens over the 4th of July weekend.
- It’s extra hilarious that even though this is a global invasion, there are three spaceships over three different U.S. cities, and the film is mostly only concerned with what happens in the United States.
- R.E.M.’s “It’s the End of the World” plays in one of the opening scenes.
- Jeff Goldblum.
- Every time Harvey Fierstein yells “David!”
- When David rides his bike through the office while everyone is in full panic mode, and he stops to chastise someone for not recycling a soda can.
- I don’t think Randy Quaid is even acting in this movie. Russell is just Randy Quaid if Quaid believed aliens abducted him.
- Miguel saving his sister from almost having sex with that asshole Joey from 10 Things I Hate About You.
- The aliens come here just to destroy our monuments.
- I live in LA and had to google what building the spaceship is directly above because LA just doesn’t have recognizable skyscrapers.
- Will Smith punches an alien (not for the last time either) and says, “Welcome to Earth”
- Every single one of Will Smith’s one-liners
- “Elvis has left the building!”
- “I have got to get me one of these!”
- “No, you did NOT shoot that green shit at me!”
- Was crazy Quaid right all along? Was he actually abducted by aliens? I think so.
- Area 51 is real and the president didn’t even know.
- Will Smith dragging an alien through the desert.
- Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation almost unrecognizable as the mad scientist who has clearly been held against his will in Area 51 for who knows how many years.
- The speech that President Bill Pullman gives at the end of the movie is better than any speech the current president has ever given.
I seriously could go on forever. This movie is a ridiculous and amazing summer blockbuster that should be immediately added to your 4th of July watch list. If nothing on this list convinces you of that, then tell me in the comments what movie I should be watching today instead!
Today we celebrate our Independence Day!